Nuffnang Leaderboard

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details
Reliable. Plagiarism-free

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Game I Played When I Was Young - Bato Lata


I find it sad that many of today's kids, including here in the Philippines, do not play outdoors so much anymore, because of the Internet and the PSP.  There are so many obese kids around who could do some running if they were just taught how to play some simple Filipino games which are quite inexpensive! 

One of my favorites growing up was the bato-lata.  Interestingly, we never used a bato (stone).  Instead, we used our slippers.  The object of the game is for everyone to throw their slippers on a can inside a circle.  You have to make sure your slipper does not fall within the circle, otherwise, you'll be the 'It'.  As the can crashes or is thrown around, the 'It' has to restore it to its original position in the circle, and then chase everyone whose slipper is outside the line. 

Anyone caught becomes the next 'It'.  A line separates everyone from the 'It', normally 2-3 meters away.  You'd have to be able to run fast in this game to retrieve your slipper.  Your aim on the can also has to be very accurate and strong, otherwise, the 'It' can just catch you quickly. 

I love playing this game and although I was a bit sickly and physically weak growing up, I enjoyed running around retrieving my slipper and making sure I it doesn't fall within the circle.  I hated being 'It' and hated it also when the stronger players really throw the can far away!  You can't be physically weak to play this game or else, you'll be the 'It' forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Rectangle