Nuffnang Leaderboard

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details
Reliable. Plagiarism-free

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Now I Understand the Genius of Kenneth Cobonpue

 I am not really a design critic but I have always been proud of the honor, fellow Cebuano, Kenneth Cobonpue has given to Philippine furniture design to connoisseurs worldwide.  However, before, I never really understood why he was so popular - maybe because I would always be shocked to know how much he charges per piece of furniture and maybe because he also uses indigenous materials which are so common to me, I didn't understand what the fuss was all about.


However, everytime I now see the much vaunted Italian or Scandinavian design, I now finally understood why his work was so revolutionary and so fresh.  From my own point of view, it's the fluidity of the design that makes it so wonderful - and it feels like each piece has its own soul - like it is a breathing being because the material used is also organic and from nature.  Some Italian or Scandinavian designs now, appear to me somewhat cold, or mass-produced, despite the hype that surrounds them. When you see a Kenneth Cobonpue chair, you feel like it was fashioned from the waves of the ocean or the gusts of a wind - and it's something you really want to touch and run your fingers through the contours and shape of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Rectangle