Nuffnang Leaderboard

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details
Reliable. Plagiarism-free

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How I Cope Up With the Rising Prices of Fuel, Water, Electricity, and Basic Commodities

           

Almost a year ago, I ply from one province to the other- 87 kilometers apart, two times a week. My budget for the trip back and forth was P150.00 pesos – just within my means. Two months ago, and after a few months of travelling hiatus, I kept the same budget but the bus conductor, hijacked my money with only P5.00 change for a one way ticket only! While my income is kept constant and the basic necessities endlessly going up, I ceased to travel as frequently as I did then and held back. Holding back for me means taking the necessary measures to cushion the effects of inflation. So I made my own personal coping mechanisms as follows:

I manage my time. I follow a daily schedule that I tack conspicuously on my door to keep myself from unnecessary distractions. I organize my activities together to save on time. The key to managing time is focus. And the key to maintaining focus is to set priorities. This is what I do to accommodate not only my economic activities, but my hobbies and my relaxation time in a day.

I travel less and walk when convenient. I minimize going out by scheduling a day for important transactions and organizing itineraries in such a way to save on fare and of course, the most expensive of all commodities - time.

I simplify my wardrobe. Although this is nothing new for myself, my simplification strategies saved me money. Simplifying for me means reducing my clothes, shoes, bag, toiletries and vanity kit to a basic minimum. This is good for me since I don’t mind following the latest styles. This has not only reduced the clutter in my closet but it has also saved me from the trappings of consumerism.

I substitute commercial products and go natural. Reducing my vanity kit and toiletries means that I have to substitute for the commercial products I once used and the substitute surprisingly are found in the kitchen.  For example, kalamansi is good for whitening, toning and deodorant. This is not only practical but also healthy. Just think of the toxins in the products sold in the market!

I manage consumption. I’m a scrooge. When it comes to toiletries, I consume soap, shampoo and toothpaste prudently. When I prepare food, I only do enough for the day’s consumption. At home, we utilize rainwater for the plants and recycle laundry water to clean the dogs’ kennel. I hardly use the airconditioning unit, I open all windows at night to let in the fresh air.

I stay home instead of going to the malls. This is the way, I save on fare. Since I stay mostly at home, I don’t need to change to one wardrobe to the other which saves me water and since I don’t iron my clothes, it saves me time and energy and electric bill.

I hitch rides and get freebies. I am open to gifts from the kind universe through my social networks. I get hand-me-downs, medicines, food, sometimes cash, or a free-ride.

I eat healthy. There is no better way than eating healthy. Health is wealth. I do away with commercial and processed foods and eat homegrown vegetables and fruits. Since we live in the rural area where there is more than enough land to till, we grow some of our vegetables and eat the fruits we grow in the backyard. 
I simplify my social network and recreational activities. I keep a small set of real friends but I weed out unnecessary social engagements that eat away my precious time and energy. As to my hobbies and recreational activities I am lucky to just be happy tending a garden and doing yoga alone. These are activities that do not require me to go out of the house and spend money for food and fare.
I use technology to transact business.  Information communication technology is here to speed up transactions with expenses kept to a minimum. I use technology to make transactions, although impersonal, I keep in touch with friends instead of going out with them.

Earning money at home through ICTs is also a good option to save on fare and other expenses contingent with going out. With ICT’s life has become simpler and more convenient, that is as far as I am concerned.
The rising prices will bother me but it will no longer surprise me and it should not surprise anyone either. What the constant inflation is telling us is that our natural resources finite as they are, are depleted. So inflation is here to stay unless we adopt alternative technology to reduce and severe our dependency on fossil fuels, change our consumption habits, and embrace a simple lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Rectangle