Nuffnang Leaderboard

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details
Reliable. Plagiarism-free

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Nowhere To Be Found: Filipino Nurses in Hollywood Movies and TV Shows

I am currently watching a German horror movie, 'Anatomie' and it completely surprises me to see lots of Filipino nurses in the hospital!  I did not even know that our nurses were going to Germany?  And they spoke impeccable German, and looked Filipina!!  What makes me react this way is that, I watch several hospital-based US TV drama shows like Nurse Jackie, but I've never seen a Filipino nurse character, even just for an episode.  Why is that?  Do Hollywood producers think we're invisible?  Nursing is, I believe, the #1 occupation of most US-based Filipinos, so it surprises me that we don't have a representation in Hollywood.  In Desperate Housewives, one character disparaged our nurses and doctors, and that was the closest representation we had in Hollywood.  From what we can see from that, Hollywood producers and writers think our nurses and doctors are stupid.  Anyhow, I'd still want to see an episode of my favorite TV show right now to have, at least one Filipino nurse.  They have a Latino gay nurse, and an Indian in the last episode I watched.  And this is set in New York!!  So I'm sure, we're next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Rectangle