Nuffnang Leaderboard

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details

Research Proposal Writing Assistance Click on the picture for more details
Reliable. Plagiarism-free

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bringing in the Tourists: Things I've Observed While in KL

Even though Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country, I admit I was surprised by the huge numbers of tourists that they have!  Kuala Lumpur is slowly beginning to look like Bangkok!  You see tourists everywhere!  I guess their Malaysia Truly Asia slogan is slowly beginning to pick up.

So anyway, here are my two cents on what I think we can do to make Manila, or Cebu or Davao, at least the urban places, a place that more tourists would be more willing to visit, based on what I saw in Kuala Lumpur.

#1 A working mass-based transport system from our airports to the city center

I have been using the LCCT these past two trips, and even though it is supposedly a low-cost airport - there was nothing low cost about it.  It had wi-fi everywhere, there were many choices of restaurants, and there was ease of movement inside the place even if it wasn't airconditioned (it had this outdoorsy type of planning, which was fine since it saves us from releaseing COCCs).  It was also easy to find public transport from the airport to the city centre.   We took a bus and it was reasonably priced, well-ventilated and a bus went to the city every 30 minutes!

#2 an efficient mass-based commuter system 

As a tourist, I enjoy using the mass-based commuter train systems of the cities I visit. That way, I can really see how the residents of that place lives!   For me, that in itself is a tourist attraction, dreary the thought of it may be.  In most Asian cities, their mass-based commuter system is very efficient - here in Manila, the LRT and the MRT are nightmare rides, according to my friends who take it.  The queues are infernally long, people get robbed inside, women get molested, I could go on and on....I don't think tourists would like to ride in such discomfort - and a certain level of fear.

#3 an efficient way to go and see the sights

I know it is a bit touristy to apply something like a hop on hop off bus thing in Manila, but for people who only have  two to three days to stay in a city - it's a godsend - especially if applied in Manila.  It will save tourists with having to deal with unscrupulous drivers, and allow them to see our city's tourist sites in relative comfort.

#4 bring the tourists to do real shopping here

I think the Thais and the people of Hong Kong and Singapore have perfected this already - enticing tourists to their cities to just shop!  Imagine how much foreign currency that can bring in!!  I think SM Mall of Asia is slowly doing that - directing tourists to buy in their Filipino pasalubong stores.  I bring all my foreign guests there!  Of course, there's Tesoro also in Makati.  I have brought some of my foreigner friends to Divisoria and Greenhills but they say that it's no different from what they can see in Shenzhen.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuffnang Rectangle